Dull. Advice needed please.

High heels on fire.

Brennende Schuhe und Stiefel.

Moderators: Heelexploder, josephine, Alexainheels, minni, Cammile, Wetshoegirl, ambershotheels

davestratford1

Dull. Advice needed please.

Post by davestratford1 »

Hi. Used to love teasing a shoe with heat in my own time. My friend however had a small house fire last week. Shes alive and not injured, thank god. Doing the coming to terms and getting procedures rolling bit now. House is sound but smoke got everywhere. It doesn't look as grimm upstairs, but it is all so horrid. What are the saftey aspects of wearing and living with cloths, shoes, bedding and curtains even after many cleans? Have we really got to just toss the lot or can it be done? Nothing upstairs is BLACK, just slightly sooted. Insurance is sorted btw, but cleaning and keeping the more personal things would be nicer than having it all chucked. Any advice would be great.Thanks.
sneakersfun

Re: Dull. Advice needed please.

Post by sneakersfun »

davestratford1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:20 pm Hi. Used to love teasing a shoe with heat in my own time. My friend however had a small house fire last week. Shes alive and not injured, thank god. Doing the coming to terms and getting procedures rolling bit now. House is sound but smoke got everywhere. It doesn't look as grimm upstairs, but it is all so horrid. What are the saftey aspects of wearing and living with cloths, shoes, bedding and curtains even after many cleans? Have we really got to just toss the lot or can it be done? Nothing upstairs is BLACK, just slightly sooted. Insurance is sorted btw, but cleaning and keeping the more personal things would be nicer than having it all chucked. Any advice would be great.Thanks.
The smell of smoke may remain on shoes and clothes, so you probably have to take them outside for several days.

Re: Dull. Advice needed please.

Post by 001 »

Not sure about clothes or bedding but nearly all shoes will stand up to a good wash with soapy warm water. I collect vintage shoes and give every pair a good going over to remove any residual dirt both on the bottom but also inside and out. Just need to be aware of the material and adjust your scrubbing according to what they are made of. ie. Don't over do it!
I normally plug them with paper towels to help drying and in a couple of days they are fine. As stated though, it maybe worth leaving them outside to help with smoke smell but I would wash them first.
Try it, at the end of the day it has to be a better option than just throwing them away which is the worst that can happen if it does not work.
Ps. If you end up throwing them away, get footage on video of the garbage truck actually eating them!